One recurring item on the Vette to-do list has been the headlight motors. Last spring I discovered how the delrin bushings in the drive mechanism tend to turn to dust over time, and replaced them with some chunks of 3/8″ rubber fuel line. They worked wonderfully until somewhere around the end of daylight savings when I drove the beast to work and needed the lights on the way home. Ugh! Continue reading
When I first backed the green monster into my garage to cool off back in March of 2015 my heart sank when I noticed a huge puddle of oil rather quickly appear out of nowhere from the front of the engine. A few hours of wrenching later I’d discovered the cause. When the water pump bearing starts to wear out on these gen 2 LT-1s it sometimes destroys the drive shaft seal in the front of the timing cover. Continue reading
Last spring when I started getting the ‘Vette in proper running order, it became quickly apparent there were some cooling system issues. Most notably the heater core was leaking as evidenced by the strong smell of antifreeze in the interior. I’ll never forget the previous owner’s frantic affirmation of his used-car-salesmanship when I mentioned this after the test drive – “the heat works!” No shit sherlock. Anyway, I felt it was safe to assume this was leaking due to the coolant being negligently left in service far too long, becoming acidic and causing corrosion. I was looking forward to logging some drive time in the new toy so I decided replacing the heater core (and yanking the dash out) was a job that could wait until the boredom of winter set in. So I bypassed it and moved on to flushing the ridiculously nasty DexCool out of the green beast.
I had $200 burning a hole in my pocket last fall so I figured this would be a simple bolt-on that will give a small gain in HP until I have enough to build the valvetrain out and rebuild the reciprocating assembly.