Squirrel-B-Gone

Since I’ve been creating new pages for each firearm project lately, I thought it fitting that I start a new one for my Crosman 1377 since I pulled it out last night and took back to the task of accurizing it for the purpose of eliminating squirrels and rabbits while waiting for a whitetail to appear. Prior work on this plinker was the barrel band that was my first major lathe work.

The above picture shows the best groupings I’ve been able to manage at 12.5 yards, shooting Daisy Precision Max wadcutters (real lead). The lower left group is quite interesting as it shows four rounds clearly walking down in a distinct pattern. The first cold-bore shot was the farthest from the bullseye. Hmmm. Initially I was not able to manage very good groups with this, but after disassembling and thoroughly cleaning the barrel I found a burr around almost 1/3 of the crown radius that was obviously grabbing the pellets. After recrowning and polishing, the groups are much more predictable. I think the remainder of the inaccuracies can be attributed to wobble (loose fitting ammo) and operator error.

Here’s a close-up of the hammer piston, and presumably the reason why the trigger felt like it was grating on broken glass out of the box. A little polishing on the shorter of the two angles proved quite helpful, but I believe I need to re-work this and cut this entire face flat before a smooth, clean break will be acheived.

Update: I haven’t taken the time to photograph all the trigger mods I’ve done to this piece, but I just bought a trigger scale this week and was suprised to find the break weight for Squirrel-B-Gone was a ginger 3.5 lbs! I’ll update with pictures the next time I tear her down so you can see the lighter, shorter sear spring, and the tab I welded onto the factory sear to improve spring purchase. The result was a lighter, smoother pull and cleaner break that I’m very pleased with.

This entry was posted in Mini Lathe, The Shade Tree Gunsmith. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.